Thursday 18 February 2016

Vintage Wallpaper

This week I have been immersed in vintage wallpaper. The Moruya Museum is having an exhibition based around a most gorgeous book by Peter Freeman, called 'The Wallpapered Manse'. The book was shortlisted for the NSW Premier's History Awards, and it's a gem. Through the layers of wallpaper and peeling paint, the author traces the history of this 1860's Georgian building, the Presbyterian manse next door to the church. 



I've been photographing the old newspapers used behind the wallpapers, and fragments of the various layers of wallpapers since 1865 that have been lovingly salvaged to put together a poster for the exhibition, as well as fragments of painted timbers and lino scraps. 

The wallpapers are TO DIE FOR!


Moruya Museum poster by http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/vintage-wallpaper.html

Moruya Museum poster by http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/vintage-wallpaper.html

Moruya Museum poster by http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/vintage-wallpaper.html

Moruya Museum poster by http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/vintage-wallpaper.html

Moruya Museum poster by http://lace-age-girl.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/vintage-wallpaper.html

These are just some of the poster ideas. The dates and exhibition title are still to be decided. I found a couple of ads in 1950-60 newspapers for shops that still exist in Moruya...

I've also been working on a poster for our next concert... that's me 3rd from left, and my hammered dulcimer is on the left. It was tricky setting the timer and running to be in the photo!




That's my creative output for this week, as well as practicing for the above concet and  for the 50th National Folk Festival in Canberra, Australia.

Here's the performers List so far...



http://folkfestival.org.au/2016-performers/


I'm linking to Simply Neutrals Tuesday, hosted by Wen on her blog AppleApricot.



Wishing you creative time to play and reflect and make something beautiful...

Jesse

14 comments:

  1. This is awesome Jesse!! Thanks so much for sharing. I am so intrigued by the old wallpaper; all the history that is being uncovered in it's 'findings.' ~ Now I want to find that Peter Freeman book! : ) Wish you the best in your upcoming concert friend! ~Karen O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Karen :) I hope to be able to use some snippets creatively but will have to seek permission. I'm sure you will enjoy Peter's book. Here is his website:
      http://peterfreeman.com.au/work/portfolio-items/2013-%E2%80%A2-the-wallpapered-manse/
      Hugs,
      Jesse

      Delete
    2. P.S. Here's a shop selling this book:
      http://www.abbeys.com.au/api/product.do?isbn=9780992315603

      Delete
  2. Hi Jesse,
    Your photos are so beautifully showing all the old wall papers, which are truly stunning, Oh to be able to have little pieces from them.... I`m sure you would love to create with little snipppets if it was possible.
    And so nice to see you together with the members of your orchestral. I wish you a wonderful time ,together.
    Hugs from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorthe,
      I would love to have pieces of the old papers to play with, but there is not much left and it's precious. Thanks for your well wishes :)
      hugs,
      Jesse

      Delete
  3. HI Jesse! Those wallpapers are indeed to die for, and the book looks great. I love the posters and wish you lots of luck with the concert. You are so very long creative in everything you do. Reading your posts is always such a joy! Hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue, I'm glad you enjoyed the post - it was all I had time for! We are feeling very tired at the moment, with practices taking so much time. I miss the time to do lacy collage stuff, though!
      Hugs,
      Jesse

      Delete
  4. Schön bei Dir! P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jesse, I am so glad you found my blog, and that I've found yours.Your photograpy is gorgeous.So many textures and stunning colours. I just have to finish a few projects and I'll be off to have a longer visit. Thanks for becoming a follower.
    Judy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you popped over to my blog. I'll be back to yours, too...I must try to get some more creating time, though, I've spent so much time on my computer lately :)
      Have a great weekend.
      Jesse X

      Delete
  6. Jesse- the wallpaper stories are magnificent!! Those posters are just incredibly beautiful....
    OMGOSH-- you are so talented!! I'm so impressed that you play the dulcimer and belong in a band-- how totally awesome!!! I wish you great success with your concert...
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki :) I'm glad you enjoyed the wallpapers. I think they are stunning, too.
      Happy creating!
      Jesse XX

      Delete
  7. Hello sweet friend, such wonderful textures, gorgeous wallpapers! And your collaged photos and poster are so beautiful! And I soooo wished I could come to see you and your band and hear your wonderful music! I loved the song you shared a while ago. Wishing you lots of musical joy! I'm so sorry to be so late in my visit to your blog dear, I had a nasty cold and am still exhausted, but will put this week's party on the blog today. Wishing you a beautiful day, hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Wen, Thanks for visiting. I've had a cold, too, and I'm hoping to be in full voice for our first concert this Sunday. I have discovered an antiseptic throat spray for sore throats -very effective. We just finished a rehearsal. Still some mistakes!!! I hope we are ready, as we've worked so hard for so long! I hope the nervous adrenalin on the night will help us do better, not tighten us up and strangle us!

      How quickly a fortnight passes! I had better get myself into gear and pop over to your blog- thanks for the timely reminder :)
      Hugs,

      Jesse

      Delete

Thank you so much for your friendly comments. It makes my day to hear from you about my artworks and topics.